Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Why I'm not Raising My kids to Be Church Kids!

       Why I'm not Raising My kids to Be Church Kids!

          This is a guest blog from my big sister Nikki! She is not only my blood sister but my role model and sister in Christ. I have watched her over the years living for Christ. A topic that's not discussed much in the Christian community  is raising Godly children. I see firsthand how my sister and brother raises my nephew in the ways of God,  so I asked her to write this blog. I hope that this blesses you all! 


    Several years ago when my son Lil Rob was five years old he told me about a dream he had concerning a magic wand. He had been watching an episode of "Dora the Explorer" about casting a spell with a magic wand. I had already began explaining to him in simplicity what the bible says about witchcraft and spells. He later had a dream and told me "I was playing with a magic wand. Jesus told me he didn't like me playing with the magic wand and took it from me." A few days after his dream he was playing and his dad saw him pretending to have a magic wand. His dad asked him "Lil Rob, What did Jesus tell you in your dream about the magic wand?" Lil Rob responded "Jesus told me he didn't want me to play with it." It gave me great peace as a mom that God used a dream to teach my son. "All your children shall be taught by the Lord, And great shall be the peace of your children."-Isaiah 54:13 
          

    

  If I were to take a poll right now and ask "How many of you grew up in church?" Many would raise their hands. If I then asked "How many of you who grew up in church have been truly born again, regenerated, and living for Christ now?" Only a few hands would go up. I would like to make it clear this isn't a church bashing blog. It's important if possible to be apart of a biblical church where you can learn, connect with people, and grow spiritually. Being connected with other Christians and apart of a local church will be a normal part of my children lives. "Not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near."-Hebrews 10:25 

  We live in a time where many people in our nation attend church weekly and claim to be Christians. Our nation is moving further away from God and is in rebellion to biblical principles. In the universities professors are indoctrinating students with humanistic teachings and openly mock Christ. Many Christians have voted for a president who supports abortions and homosexual marriages. We have musicians like Katy Perry who performed a witchcraft ritual during her performance at the Grammys. Hollywood has desensitize us and they are boldly pushing their Anti Christianity agenda. Mega Churches are popping up all over the place and many churches are growing in numbers. Why is our nation in the state that it is in? Many of our children and teens who attend church regularly seem no different than their worldly peers. Where have we went wrong? Many churches are preaching a watered down Gospel. Many parents stress the importance of worldly success and sports to their children. They rarely discuss spiritual things with their children. Then they drag their children to church for two hours a week expecting the Youth Pastor and Children's Pastor to turn their rebellious children into "Obedient Christians." Going to church doesn't make you a Born Again Christian just like being parked in a garage doesn't make you a car. 



     People assume that I'm serious about Christ because I grew up in church.I grew up in church but my heart was far from God. I didn't pretend to be serious about God. I simply lived as I please. Some church kids grow up in church, they know how to look the part, they are active in their church, they perform to receive the praises of men, they boast in their worldly success,they sometimes live double lives, and their heart usually isn't after God. Some of them act like little Pharisees. Godly Kids desires to please God. They have had an encounter with Jesus and have been changed on the inside."But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."-Matthew 19:14 They go to church because they are hungry for God's word, they desire to be around other Christians, and are passionate about the lost.They make mistakes but get convicted of their sin. They don't live double lives. My husband and I have two sons and our oldest is almost nine. We made up our mind years ago that we were not raising "Church Kids." Our desire was to raise "Godly Kids." Godly Kids have had an supernatural encounter with Christ. They have been changed on the inside and are sensitive to the Holy Spirit leading their lives. Their walk with Christ affects their home life and every area of their life. "And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions."-Joel 2:28


        Are you raising your children to be "church kids" or "godly kids?" As parents we can't expect to raise Godly Kids if we haven't been born again and regenerated ourselves. You can't give something you don't have. "Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."-John 3:5 When you are truly born again it will be evident in your life and the Holy Spirit will teach you how to parent and pray for your children."But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ."-1John 2:27 There isn't a magic formula to use for raising children. They still have to make their own decisions to serve God. But if you would get in your word and seek the Lord in prayer he will give you the guidance you need. He can move upon your children hearts, open their spiritual eyes, and give you wisdom with raising them.The bible has plenty to say concerning child raising.I'm not against taking your children to church. Going to church is a good thing. We can't expect for the church to raise our children and not do our part at home. Our kids are looking at our lives and actions. If you act differently at church than when you are at home your kids won't take you seriously. Are you spending time at home teaching them the word? Do you teach them how to make practical decisions with what they are learning from the bible? "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."-Deuteronomy 11:18 



  There is no such thing as a little holy spirit and big holy spirit. God used people in the bible during their youth. In many churches we think children are to young to understand spiritual things. We use entertainment and cute bible stories to fill in the time. Meanwhile the enemy is busy using all kinds of music, shows, and ungodly people to influence them. God desires to have a relationship with our kids and teach them his ways when they are young. Lil Rob is now almost nine years old and I have had many deep conversations with him concerning the bible.Last week we were watching a movie called "The Apostle Peter" on Netflix. In the movie Peter is an old man and was in prison for his faith. In one part he is sharing his hope in Christ and quoted the scripture about Jesus never leaving nor forsaking us. My son paused the movie and says "Mom isn't that powerful, Jesus will never leave us or forsake us." Lil Rob also told me he was amazed that Peter was happy to suffer for Christ in prison. We end up having a little discussion which we both enjoyed. My child isn't more special or have a higher calling than any other child. We have made it a point since he was small to teach him about God in simplicity, pray for the salvation of his soul, pray for God to reveal himself, and we live this life before him daily so it's normal to him. He sees his parents reaching out to all kinds of people, praying for them, showing the love of God, and giving to those in need. I also sometimes share with him areas where I have made mistakes and had to change. Lil Rob makes mistakes and gets in trouble like any other child. But since he has the Holy Spirit inside of him he feels conviction when he sins. He has a solid foundation and good understanding of the bible. He has a heart for the lost and the poor. He stands up for those who are being bullied. We encourage him to make time for God a few minutes a day by reading his word, praying, singing songs, or thinking about him. We teach him that doing well in school is important. But the most important thing in life is serving God because he is our Lord and Master. We regularly spend time together as a family praying and discussing the bible. There have been times he shared things with me that I know had to be the Holy Spirit because an eight year old wouldn't make that up. God gives him dreams and visions.I'm not saying any of this to brag on my child. This should be the norm for those of us who are raising Godly Kids.

        I am encouraging all of the parents and future parents we have to take raising our children God's way seriously. It isn't good enough just to take them to church. We have to live an authentic set-apart Christian life before them. God didn't give us cute kids so that we can show them off on social networks and brag about them. His desire is for us to raise our children to follow his word and to live for him. "Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth."-Malachi 2:15 It's time for us to take serious the offspring that God has given us. One day these children will become adults and making their own decisions for their life. It's imperative that we equipped them with the right tools spiritually and that we do everything within our power to point them Christ. There are parents with experience, sermons, books, the bible, and prayer that can help you on your journey of raising godly offspring. My desire isn't to raise "Church Kids. My desire is to raise "Godly Children" who will burn with passion for Christ day and night!


I also did a blog on why our youth leave the church. Check it out here! http://brittmjay.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-do-our-youth-leave-church-and-never.html http://brittmjay.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-do-our-youth-leave-church-and-never.html


To contact Curtisha(Nikki):
Email: Jazzi01@yahoo.com
Twitter:Jazzionfire

4 comments:

  1. this was a great read !!! I follow your facebook posts, I pray that the Lord continues to use you for his service (you are doing what He wants you to do, never stop, remain faithful). I'm doing this online bible study through goodmorninggirls.com and this week we are studying our children and how we need to start young with telling them about Jesus!!! Please tell your sister her blog post was great and I hope you don't mind me sharing this post with the ladies in my study group. Be Blessed !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. ##truth#tellit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely... I have thought about raising Godly children. When I do have kids that's the way I will Raise them. All Things are possible through Christ

    ReplyDelete