Saturday, October 3, 2015

Christianity,Empire & Scandal

                     Christianity, Empire & Scandal

This week, a co-worker asked me did I see the new episode of Empire. Before I could answer, someone said, "She's not into stuff like that!" I want to make it clear that I'm not better than anyone because I don't watch these shows. When God first saved me, I battled giving up my favorite reality shows: Single Ladies, Real Housewives of Atlanta, and Bad Girls Club. I tried to make excuses and convince myself that it was just a show and no big deal. The Holy Spirit would convict me every time, and I would feel no peace afterwards. The Holy Spirit was grieved with me feeding my flesh and filling my mind with the filth of this world.  Finally I said enough Lord, I give it to you.  (Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.)



In the last year, I've heard much talk of popular shows like Empire and Scandal. For those who are not familiar with Empire or Scandal, these shows are very popular. People even get together to have Empire and Scandal watching parties. These shows glorify and promote fornication, homosexuality, abortion, adultery, greed, lust of the flesh, the pride of life..and everything that Jesus warns us to stay away from. The fastest way to promote sin and make it acceptable is through entertainment. I'm sure shows like Empire and Scandal may have a good story line, but I find it hypocritical as a believer to preach against sin but then watch shows that glorify it. These shows are designed to desensitize us to sin and make it normal. In the 70s-80s we had shows like The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Brady Bunch that promoted family, marriage, morals and values..now we have shows that promote sin and our culture reflects it!



 PAUSE.. Some of you may be thinking, "Umm Brittany I like your other posts but I'm not giving up my shows. You're being legalistic and holier than thou!" It's not about being a legalist, but we can't use our freedom in Christ as an excuse to gratify our flesh. We have to wonder why our hearts are far from God, why we have no desire to pray & share the gospel, and no passion for Christ because we are being entertained by the very things He hates and died for.  No matter how long we've been saved, we can't "handle" certain things. We should pursue holiness and godliness at all costs. 

This isn't just about Empire & Scandal. It's about what we watch, listen to, and entertain in general. These shows promote the very sins that put our loving savior on the cross.  Many times we don't understand and think God doesn't wants us to have fun or watch anything. No, God loves us and wants us to stay away from evil and anything that will take our heart away from Him. He knows how detrimental these things are to our spiritual life. Believers, we have to guard our heart and be wise. We should seek to honor God in what we listen to and watch. In my own walk, I notice when I listen to or watch certain things..afterwards I have no desire to read my word or pray. This stuff feeds our flesh, unknowingly. We shouldn't ask is this a sin, or that a sin. We should ask is this pushing us closer to God and would God be pleased with it. ( 1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.)


This post wasn't to condemn any believers for watching these shows, but to bring awareness and expose the cunning tactics of the enemy. (Ephesians 5:11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.) As we grow in God, we begin to love what He loves and hate what He hates..including our own sin. Some may think I'm being "too deep" but for those who have been convicted by watching these shows this is for you!:-)

Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
         Psalms 101:3 I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;it shall not cling to me.





9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany! Thank you for this post. It is much needed in the Body of Christ.

    http://hijadeyahshua.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not have said it better Brittany! Thank you for this timely blogpost! When are we as Christians going to align EVERY aspect of our life with God's Word. So many of us wonder why our lives are a mess, yet make no connection to what we feed ourselves in the form of entertainment. It turns us away from God and towards sin--bottomline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brittany for standing up for truth. Shared so boldly, yet with the love and compassion of God! I have not watched Empire and had no desire to do so. I must share this post that the Holy Ghost has given to you because so much of the Body of Christ has fallen into such delusion and error. We are so easily led. I am thoroughly convicted by this word and full of repentance for anything that I may have knowingly or unknowingly done before my God! Thank you again my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time reading this article and I found it very enlightening. Thank you! I will admit Empire and the Tyler Perry shows had me hook and HTGAWM. As I started to really become serious about my walk with Christ I can't bring myself to look at them anymore. It's getting more and more perverted with the story lines. I thank God for the spirt of conviction and we need to guard ourban eyes, ears and our heart to the things of this world. Thank the Holy Spirit for conviction Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brittney. I've written about this on my blog when I watched Empire http://ibechidiogo.blogspot.com.ng/2015/09/empire-review.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Young woman of God continue to do what God says do. Whether you step on toes or not. Truth hurts but it's the only thing that will set you free. We have enough people in the world dying a spiritual death on the inside and enough preachers paddy caking God's people they go to church and leave the same. Good messages but no truth. Conviction is of the Holy Spirit which comes to correct when wrong. When you feel nothing thats a problem. Its shows how disconnected u are. When I mean all of your statuses and blogs are on point and line up. You spoke some truth to me as well.Be blessed! You have to guard your ears and eyes nowadays. It's amazing how we mentally put God on the back burner until something happens. Society is now the teacher. It starts slowly through entertainment TV. Instead is seeking out our purpose in what we here to do we are too busy focused on entertaining something that isn't real and created to be a distraction. Social Media included as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brittany, just saw this link from the Exit Churchianity blog and enjoyed it. I was convicted by the Holy Spirit over a TV program choice in similar fashion back in 2011 on a different show (the enemy has been spewing out a slew of mess to distract believers for a long time!).

    I'd love to get your comments on my blog post at https://kayrencathcart.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/change-my-heart-o-god/

    My sister, I encourage you to keep letting your light shine bright for the truth of Christ!

    Blessings,
    Kayren

    ReplyDelete